ISLIP PINES FACT SHEET
- Mixed use development on 136 acres of property in the Town of Islip in Holbrook. Currently zoned for industrial development, the developer (Serota Properties) seeks a zoning change to mixed use.
- This project was reviewed by the Suffolk Planning Commission on July 3, 2013 and they recommended that the Town of Islip go ahead with the rezoning. It will go before the Islip planning board and, ultimately, the Islip town board for approval.
- Project is located on the north side of Sunrise Highway just east of Vets highway where Nicolls Road, Sunrise Highway, and Vets Highway all intersect (next to Costco). Two major shopping centers empty out here at this already treacherous stretch of road.
- Plans include 350 units of “workforce housing.” It is unclear whether these will be for sale or for rent. Given the current difficulty obtaining financing to build private homes, it will likely be rental housing.
- Also included are 339,000 square feet of retail including two big box stores, 818,000 square feet of industrial, 302,000 square feet of “flex use,” 190,000 square feet of entertainment space, a “great lawn” and six ball fields. The plans include a 3-story hotel and a 60,000 square foot 16-screen movie theater.
- This project is located very close to Sayville’s and Bayport’s Main Street shopping districts
- This project will add 70-200 children into the Sachem school district.
- Area civic associations and chambers of commerce have formed an alliance to oppose this project.